Bible study 213 – Judges 3Posted: May 5, 2017
The basic formula for each of the stories of the judges is this:
1) The Israelites start worshipping Baal.
2) God has them enslaved by the Canaanites.
3) The Israelites cry out for forgiveness.
4) God sends down a judge to crush the Canaanites, and keep the unruly Israelites docile.
5) The judge dies, and the formula repeats itself.
The first judge is Othniel, who defeats the Canaanites in battle.
Then comes Ehud, who deceitfully murders the Canaanite king when presenting him tribute.
After him came Shamgar.
After him came Shamgar son of Anath, who killed six hundred of the Philistines with an oxgoad. He too delivered Israel.